- What is ILLiad?
- How is ILLiad better than traditional ILL systems?
- Are there any disadvantages to the electronic system?
- Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
- What if I forget my password?
- What web browser should I use?
- Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
- Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
- How do I know if my computer can receive electronic articles?
- How do I get Adobe Acrobat Reader?
- How do I get my articles when they arrive?
- How do I know which requests will be electronically delivered and which ones will not?
- Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
- Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is the electronic system you use to request an item through Interlibrary Loan. The name ILLiad can be thought of as an acronym for InterLibrary Loan internet accessible database.
How is ILLiad better than traditional ILL systems?
- You can get information about the status of your request through the Web at any time from any location without having to contact the LRC.
- Library personnel are able to serve you better because all data about your request and its handling is stored in a searchable database. We are able to respond quickly to your inquiries about your request. We are also able to gather statistical information about the performance of the libraries that lend to us, enabling us to make better decisions when choosing a lender to supply an item.
Are there any disadvantages to the electronic system?
Some people might find it troublesome to have to log into ILLiad using a username and password. However, this will enable you to get information about the status of your request without having to contact the LRC.
Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
Your username and password allows us to give you secure access to information about your interlibrary loan requests. It also enables you to change your preferred e-mail or phone number. You must use your MySanDiego username and password for authenication purposes. Remember no one but you will know your password.
What if I forget my password?
In the event that you forget your password, go to the MySanDiego login page and follow the link for Forgot Password?.
What Web browser should I use?
You need a Web browser that can handle forms, tables, and preferrably Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). We recommend the current versions of either Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
Yes. Web browsers cache information and create a history file on the local workstation. This allows a subsequent user of the workstation to access the system under your name using the browser's Back button to recall a page from the cache, or by finding a page with your personal information in the browser's history file. If you are concerned about the security of your interlibrary loan requests, you can take the following steps:
- Access ILLiad only from your personal computer or an otherwise secure workstation.
- Access ILLiad from a public workstation in the Interlibrary Loan office in the library. These computers are supervised by the library staff.
- When using a public access workstation:
- Delete from the history file those pages that contain your personal information.
- Exit from the Web browser before you leave the workstation. This prevents the Back button from accessing the pages you were using.
Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
From time to time we purge older records from ILLiad. Our policy is to keep requests online for several years order to comply with record keeping requirements of the copyright law.
How do I know if my computer can receive electronic articles?
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed and configured to work with your web browser in order to view, download, and print these articles. If you can read the sample page, then your computer has the necessary software installed to work with your web browser. However, if your computer tells you the file type is unkown and asks if you want to save the file to disk, then you need to install the Adobe Acrobat Reader software.
How do I get Adobe Acrobat Reader?
Adobe Acrobat Reader is available without charge from Adobe Systems, Inc. Click the "Get Adobe Reader" button to go directly to the download page.
How do I get my articles when they arrive?
1. Logon to ILLiad
2. From the main menu, click the "Electronically Delivered Articles" link under the View Requests options.
3. A list will be displayed containing all of the items that you have waiting to be viewed or downloaded.
How do I know which requests will be electronically delivered and which ones will not?
ILLIad sends you an e-mail notification for each item received. That e-mail will include information about the delivery method.
Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
Contact the LRC Reference Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-260-4612.
Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?
The technology that we use sends a Session ID to be stored on your machine. You can refuse this cookie and still be able to use ILLiad without any problems.